The following describes how to use the WP Rollback plugin to revert a plugin/theme to a previous version when needed.
Back Up Your Site!
It is strongly recommended that you back up your site’s database prior to using this plugin to rollback a theme or plugin version. See the following article for more information:
The WP Rollback plugin is helpful for rolling back the version of your plugins/theme as needed. An example use case is if you've updated a plugin and the new update either caused problems for your site or conflicted with another aspect of your site such as another plugin or the WordPress version. You can then use the rollback plugin to revert to the previous version in order to troubleshoot.
After installing and activating the plugin, you can use it with a few simple steps that are described in the following.
Rolling back a plugin
- Go to the Plugin section of your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Find the plugin you wish to roll back in the plugin list and click the link located under the plugin name.
- Select the version you wish to roll back to. Typically, it's the prior version to the latest version of the plugin, or in some cases the prior version you had used before the update if the plugin hasn’t been updated in a long period of time.
- Confirm your choice by clicking the Rollback button.
- A status page appears showing you the progress.
- Click one of the following links at the bottom of the plugin status page:
- — to turn on the rolled-back plugin.
- — to return to the plugin page.
If you continue to have issues with the plugin that you rolled back, you can also try rolling back to an earlier version.
Rolling back a theme
- Go to the Appearance > Themes section of your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Hover over the theme you wish to rollback and click the Theme Details button that appears.
- Click the Rollback button on the bottom right.
- Select the version you wish to roll back to. Typically, it's the prior version to the latest version of the theme, or in some cases the prior version you had used before the update if the theme hasn’t been updated in a long period of time.
After the plugin rolls back the theme, you can then preview your site and ensure that the appearance is working as intended.