You can use the domain name changer in the DreamPress dashboard to change any temporary domain, not just dream.press subdomains.
Preparing your domain for migration
Confirm the following for the domain you are migrating TO. If any of the following items are not configured, your site will not connect after it's migrated from the temporary domain.
- The domain you migrate TO cannot be hosted. If it is, you must remove hosting for the domain before proceeding. You can do this by setting the domain as DNS Only. This is so the domain can safely be migrated without breaking a live site.
- If a mysql hostname already exists in your panel for the new domain, you must delete it first. For example, navigate to the (Panel > 'Goodies' > 'MySQL Databases') page. If your domain is example.com, search for mysql.example.com. If you see it listed, delete it. If it exists and you do not remove it, your live site will display a connection error when you migrate.
- Make sure there are no Custom DNS records on the domain you are migrating TO. If there are, delete the custom records.
Step#1 — Changing your domain
JetPack Premium will not automatically connect when you rename your domain. To reconnect, simply log back into your WordPress admin page. JetPack should reconnect after you log in.
To change the DreamPress domain:
- Navigate to the (Panel > ‘DreamPress’ > ‘Dashboard’) page.
- Click the 'Change' link to the right of a domain.
- The 'Change Domain' dialog box opens:
- Either choose an exisiting domain from the dropdown menu, or enter a new domain. Next, click the blue Change domain button to finish.
- It will take 4-6 hours for the DNS to update for your new domain at DreamHost.
Step#2 — Waiting for your DreamHost DNS to update
As stated above, it can take 4-6 hours for the DNS to update at DreamHost. If you point your DNS at your current host to DreamHost before the DNS has updated on DreamHost's servers, the site will not connect.
It's recommended that you wait 4-6 hours before updating your DNS at your current host.