This article explains how to use a Migration Key found with the DreamHost Automated Migration plugin to migrate your WordPress site to DreamHost.
This plugin will only function if your WordPress installation is located in the primary website directory.
It will not function if WordPress is installed into a subdirectory:
Migrating your site to DreamHost
Step 1 — Obtain the Migration Key
- Log into the DreamHost panel.
- Navigate to the Manage Websites page.
- Click the Manage button to open the Domain Settings page, which allows you to adjust various settings for your site.
- Click the Website tab.
- Scroll down to the WordPress section and click the Get Key button.
Step 2 — Install the plugin on the old host
- Log into your live WordPress site at the old hosting company.
- Select Plugins > Add New in the left menu.
- Type DreamHost Automated Migration in the search field box at the upper right.
- Click the Install Now button in the box when it appears.
- Click the Activate button.
Step 3 — Configure the plugin
- Click DreamHost in the left menu.
- The plugin page opens.
- Enter your email address where you want to receive notifications about the migration status.
- Click the Migrate button to open the settings page with the following fields:
- Migration Key — The Migration Key in your DreamHost panel.
- Source Website Password Protected: If the source website is password protected, enter your credentials.
- Destination Website Password Protected: If the destination website is password protected, enter your credentials.
- Advanced Options: Leave these fields blank.
- Add Folders: This option allows you to select non-WordPress core-specific files in the event you have a custom setup.
- Add Tables: Your WordPress database is selected by default. You can also select additional database tables if needed.
- Click the Migrate button.
- A progress report displays. When the migration is complete, a success message displays and you'll receive a confirmation email.
Most migrations take under an hour to complete, but if your site is several GBs of data, it could take more than an hour. Once it completes, you will receive a notification email to the address you entered during the step above.
Checking your migrated site at DreamHost
If your DreamHost domain name is the same
example.com => example.com
If the domain name of your site at the old host and DreamHost are the same, visiting the site will continue to display it at your old host.
To view how it appears on your DreamHost server, you must create a hosts file on your computer. This allows you to view the site at DreamHost while it's still hosted at your old hosting company. View the following article for more details:
Point DNS to DreamHost
Once you have confirmed the site was correctly migrated, you can point your domain's DNS to DreamHost. For more information on how to change your nameservers at your current host, see the following article:
If your DreamHost domain name is different
example.com => dreamhostexample.com
If you migrated to a different domain name, and the new site's DNS records are hosted at DreamHost, visiting the site will display the newly migrated content.