DreamHost provides an option to entirely close an account when only a Shared hosting plan is active. If a DreamHost account has VPS services and/or Dedicated services without a Shared hosting plan, refer instead to the 'See also' links below.
This article assumes that since you're canceling your only hosting plan, you no longer wish to have your website hosted at DreamHost, but wish to keep the account open for your domain registration.
Viewing your hosting plan type
You can view all services billed to your account on the (Panel > 'Billing & Account' > 'Manage Account') page. Here you'll see a list of all services you currently use.
Closing your Shared hosting account
- Navigate to the (Panel > 'Billing & Account' > 'Manage Account') page.
- At the top of the page (under your account number and name), click the ‘close account/end all hosting" link. You'll need your panel password to proceed. If you do not know it, you can reset it.
Be sure to read through the warning message that appears which provides details on all of your information that will permanently be deleted.
- When you are ready to close the account, click the blue Continue to Account Settlement… button below the warning text.
- The DreamHost panel then automatically analyzes your account and identifies if there is a balance due which must be paid before the closure can complete.
- If a balance is due, you're asked to go to the (Panel > 'Billing & Account' > 'Make Payment') page and pay any remaining balance.
- Once your payment has posted to your account, go back to the (Panel > 'Billing & Account' > 'Manage Account') page and start the cancellation process again.
- When there is no longer a balance to pay, click the Continue to Finalize Cancellation… button to view the final page of the closure process.
- On the final page, fill out the exit survey, then click Close my account now to close your account. Once closed, you will receive a confirmation email for the cancellation.
- Any domain registration fees cannot be refunded.
- If you used a free domain registration prior to ending your hosting plan, you are now responsible for paying the domain registration fee.
Can I re-enable my account after I cancel it?
Yes. If you ever wish to come back, you can use the steps described in the following article to re-enable your account: