Closing because of COVID-19?
Please contact DreamHost support if you are considering canceling your account due to COVID-19. DreamHost is here to help and may be able to offer you payment deferral and other options during this time.
This article explains how to close/cancel an account when only a Shared Hosting plan is active.
If your DreamHost account has VPS services and/or Dedicated services without a Shared Hosting plan, refer instead to the links in the See also section below.
If needed, you can still retain the option to keep your domain registration(s) accessible at DreamHost.
Closing/canceling your Shared Hosting account
- Navigate to the Manage Account page.
- Click the Manage button to the right of your hosting plan.
- Click the Start Account Closure button.
- The next page reminds you to create any necessary backups of your data.
- Complete the exit survey and click the Next: Product Summary button.
- Select any services or domains you'd like to keep and click the Next: Review Balances button.
If you have a balance, you must make a payment for the amount that is due now. You won't be able to proceed to the next step until your account is settled.
If you have a free registration as part of your hosting plan, you must pay for it when closing your account. View the following article for details.
- If a balance appears, use a payment method at the bottom to make a payment. When finished, click the Next: Finalize Closure button.
- Review the summary of services and domains you wish to close or keep. When finished, click the red Confirm button to cancel the plan.
The availability of refunds and account credits will vary based on the hosting plan and other factors. View the following article for more details on refunds and account credits:
- A confirmation email is then sent to the email address on file.
What happens to my Domain Registration(s) when I close my account?
DreamHost will not delete your domain registrations when you close your account. Any domain registrations previously purchased continue to remain active for the rest of their registration periods.
You can continue to log into your panel and manage your domain registrations as you did before.
- Any domain registration fees cannot be refunded.
- If you used a free domain registration prior to ending your hosting plan, you are now responsible for paying the domain registration fee.
Can I re-enable my account after I close it?
Yes. If you ever wish to come back, you can use the steps described in the following article to re-enable your account: