If you need to move your domain hosting to another hosting provider, there are several steps you must take to ensure that your data has been correctly backed up and your DNS is adjusted. The following information describes the necessary steps you must take to protect your data from being deleted.
Backing up your data
The very first thing you should do before you make any changes to your account is to backup your data. Visit the following article for more information:
This details how to backup three of the most important parts of your account:
- Your website files (via FTP)
- Your database
- Your email.
Once your account is closed, this data may be permanently deleted.
Finding your DNS records
It's important to obtain a textual copy of the DNS records for your domains in case your new host needs any of them.
To obtain your DNS records:
- Navigate to the (Panel > ‘Domains’ > ‘Manage Domains’) page.
- Click the ‘DNS’ link below the domain.
- Scroll down on the ‘Manage Domain’ page that appears to view all non-editable DreamHost DNS records and also any custom DNS records that you may have created.
- Copy all the DNS records in case your new hosting company requires you to replicate them on their servers.
You can view the following articles for further details on DNS at DreamHost:
Pointing your DNS to the new hosting company
Before you point your DNS to the new hosting company, make sure you have backed up the following:
- Web files via FTP
- Database via phpMyAdmin or Command Line
- Copy of the DNS records
To change your DNS to point to your new host:
- If your domain is registered at DreamHost, go to the (Panel > ‘Domains’ > ‘Manage Domains’) page.
- Click the ‘DNS’ link under your domain.
- On the next page, locate the section titled ‘Change example.tld whois nameservers’.
- Remove the DreamHost nameservers and replace them with the new hosting company’s nameservers.
- If you are not sure of the nameservers to set for your domain, you may need to contact your new hosting provider to determine what nameservers your domain must use.
If your domain is NOT registered at DreamHost, you must log into the account where it is registered and adjust the nameservers from there.