It's possible to set up your WordPress site before pointing your DNS to DreamHost. This requires that you create a dreamhosters.com subdomain. For example, if your site is named example.com, you can add a new domain in your panel named example.dreamhosters.com. This new site is used to access your official site before you point your DNS.
Below are the required steps to set this up:
- Add your primary domain to the panel on the (Panel > ‘Domains’ > ‘Manage Domains’) page.
- On the same page, add your dreamhosters.com subdomain to the panel.
- In the screenshot below, your dreamhosters.com subdomain would be example.dreamhosters.com. This is set up to MIRROR your actual website on your DreamHost server named example.com. Visit the MIRROR article for further details on how to configure this:
- Create a mysql hostname for this new dreamhosters.com domain in the panel at (Panel > ‘Goodies’ > ‘MySQL Databases’).
- Click the Add New Hostname button to create the hostname. It should be named something like mysql.example.dreamhosters.com.
- Click the blue button Create this MySQL hostname now! to save.
- Using FTP, upload the contents of your primary website to your DreamHost server. Visit the FTP article for further details on how to upload:
- Once uploaded, edit your wp-config.php file. You'll see this line within the file:
- This will cause your site not to load since it will be attempting to connect to an external database.
- Change the hostname to your dreamhosters.com URL:
- Upload your database to your DreamHost account in your panel at (Panel > ‘Goodies’ > ‘MySQL Databases’). Visit the following article for more information on how to import your database:
- Once uploaded, you must now update the HOME and SITE URL in your database. Log into your phpMyAdmin interface on the same MySQL Database page.
- You must use the mysql.example.dreamhosters.com hostname you just created in order to log into your database.
- Once logged in, click your database name on the left.
- When you click on the database, a list of your database tables opens:
- Click on your database table named wp_options. You may notice you have a different table prefix. In this example, the table prefix is wp_bnkih8_.
- Click the Browse tab on the top left.
- When you click the browse tab, the 'siteurl' and 'home' fields display.
- Edit these fields and change them to your new dreamhosters.com URL.
You can now visit the mirrored example.dreamhosters.com site you created to view the contents of the primary site you have uploaded to the DreamHost server.