- WordPress Multisite support is NOT PROVIDED BY DREAMHOST.
- If anything on your multisite installation is not functioning, you must troubleshoot it yourself or hire a developer.
- Multisite is not for WordPress beginners. You should already know how to use WordPress before considering using Multisite.
- Users should have basic knowledge of PHP, MySQL, how to edit files on the server, and how to review error logs in case you must troubleshoot it yourself.
Follow each step in order. Make sure to not skip any steps as this may cause your installation to not function properly.
Preparing your environment
Here's a recommended checklist of action items you should take before installing WordPress Multisite:
- Make sure WordPress is already installed and operating on your website. You can use the One-Click install option in your panel.
- Backup your data before making any changes. Be sure to backup both your web server files in addition to your database. The following article describes how to do this:
- Test your current permalinks. Make sure they are functioning correctly.
- Deactivate all plugins.
- Open your wp-config.php file, and then add the following line above /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */.
/* Multisite */
define( 'WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true );
- Log into your WordPress site.
- Click the 'Tools' category on your left menu.
- Click the 'Network Setup' option.
- Select either subdomains or subdirectories.
- Confirm all details, and then click the Install button.
- The following wp-config.php and .htaccess instructions appear on this page:
- Add the lines to your wp-config.php and .htaccess files.
- Copy over any current data in your .htaccess file.
- Click the
link at the bottom of the page to log into your new Multisite installation.
- The 'My Sites' menu item now appears on the top left of your dashboard:
- Click 'My Sites'.
After you click 'My Sites', the following drop-down submenus appear:
- Network Admin (Use this for network administration)
- My Multisite (This is the original site name)
Visit the following article for further administration details of your new Multisite.