Google offers a service that allows you to view your DreamHost email within Gmail. It's called 'Mail Fetcher' which is used to import email. You can use this service instead of forwarding your email to Gmail.
This article explains how to set this up at DreamHost. View the following link from Google for further details:
The instructions in this article only allow you to IMPORT existing email from your DreamHost account. Gmail no longer allows you the ability to sync a DreamHost email address to a Gmail address to retrieve future emails. This requires 'Gmailify' which is not currently available with DreamHost.
Checking your DreamHost email in Gmail
- First, create a fully hosted DreamHost email address.
- Log into Gmail.
- On the top right, click the gear icon.
- From the dropdown, choose 'Settings'.
- Click the 'Accounts and Import' tab.
- Next to 'Check mail from other accounts, click 'Add a mail account'.
- A popup box displays:
- Enter your FULL email address.
- Click Next. As mentioned in the warning box above, you can only import email to Google since Gmailify is not available.
- Enter the following information:
- Username — Enter your full DreamHost email address
- Password — Enter your DreamHost email password
- POP Server — This is your mail cluster name.
- Port — 995 (for secure POP3 mail). Note: You must use POP. Using port 993 for IMAP will not connect.
- Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server — Check this option
- Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail — Check this option.
- Label incoming messages — Check the box if you’d like to easily see which emails in your inbox came from this account.
- Archive incoming messages — Don’t check. Only check if you don’t want to see new messages from the other account in your inbox.
- Click Add Account.
- The final page allows you to choose if you want to be able to send email (within Gmail), but have it appear as if it came from DreamHost.
- Click the Next button.
You can now view your DreamHost email in your Gmail account.
Forwarding email to a Gmail address using a catch-all address
DreamHost does not allow the forwarding of a legacy "catch-all" address. Any legacy catch-all address previously set up at DreamHost can only receive email. This is because catch-all address are such huge magnets for attracting spam, a large amount of SPAM is inevitably sent to Google.
Unless they change their anti-spam policies, DreamHost is unable to allow legacy catch-all addresses to forward to them, and thus apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause.
The forwarding of individual email addresses is still allowed, but it's possible Google may rate limit delivery from time to time. The only solution to ensure your email is delivered to Google on time is to set up the 'Mail Fetcher' program to pull your DreamHost email into your Gmail account.