You can access your database while the DNS of your primary site is not pointed to DreamHost. This requires three steps:
Step one: Adding a dreamhosters subdomain
For more detailed instructions about this process, please view the following article:
Step two: Adding a MySQL hostname
To add a hostname for your new subdomain:
- Navigate to the MySQL Databases page.
- The MySQL Databases page opens:
- Click the Add New Hostname button.
- The ‘Add a MySQL Hostname’ page opens:
In the above example:
- The primary domain is “example.dreamhosters.com”.
- The MySQL hostname is “mysql.example.dreamhosters.com”.
- Enter the hostname prefix of your choice (commonly "mysql"), and then select the new subdomain using the dropdown menu.
- Click the blue Create this MySQL hostname now! button to finish.
Step three: Accessing your database with phpMyAdmin
Once the DNS changes propagate (which may take anywhere from 4 to 24 hours), you are then able to access the phpMyAdmin MySQL management utility using the mysql hostname you just created. In the example above, it would be mysql.example.dreamhosters.com.
If you try to access phpMyAdmin before the MySQL hostname's DNS records are updated, DreamHost's phpMyAdmin interface is unable to recognize your login information.
For further information about phpMyAdmin and how to log in, please view the following article: