PHP versions 5.5 and above are installed by default on all DreamHost servers, but you can still install your own custom version if you wish.
This article details how to install a custom version of PHP on a shared server. This allows you to install and build specific packages not available in the standard DreamHost shared installation of PHP.
DreamHost support is unable to assist in any way with this custom installation.
This article uses version 5.6.
- Visit the following link and download your desired version of PHP.
- You can also download it via SSH
[server]$ wget http://php.net/get/php-5.6.12.tar.bz2/from/this/mirror
- This saves to a new file named /mirror
- Make sure to check your downloaded file's checksum.
- Decompress the file:
[server]$ tar -vxjf mirror
- This creates a new directory named php-5.6.12
- Create a /local directory in your user's directory.
[server]$ mkdir local
- Navigate to your PHP download directory:
[server]$ cd ~/php-5.6.12
- Run the following to install:
[server]$ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/local [server]$ make [server]$ make install
- Add your /local/bin/ directory to your user's PATH. Edit your .bash_profile and enter the following:
- Add the following to your .bashrc file:
- Run the following to update your .bash_profile in the current session:
- Check where your user is now locating the PHP installation.
[server]$ which php /home/example_username/local/bin/php
- Also check which version of PHP your shell is using:
[server]$ php -v PHP 5.6.12 (cli) (built: Aug 25 2015 15:36:15) Copyright (c) 1997-2015 The PHP Group Zend Engine v2.6.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2015 Zend Technologies