If you already have an existing WordPress site created from the DreamHost WordPress installer, you are able to import its content into your DreamPress site.
Importing to DreamPress as a test environment
The following instructions help you create a safe copy of your DreamPress site for testing purposes, without affecting your existing one. For example, you can set up a new instance of DreamPress on a different domain and then import your existing WordPress site to it. Once you're finished testing, delete it to avoid extra costs.
You can import a current WordPress install into a temporary DreamPress site. This allows you the ability to use the temporary domain as a testing environment before migrating to your actual site URL. View the following articles for details on how to create a DreamPress temporary domain:
If you have no need for the testing environment, you can instead upgrade your WordPress install directly to DreamPress. Otherwise, proceed with the following steps to import into an existing DreamPress site.
Import/copy WordPress into DreamPress
- Navigate to the Manage Websites page.
- Locate your DreamPress site and click the Manage button to open the Domain Settings page, which allows you to adjust various settings for your site.
- Scroll down to the WordPress section.
- To the right of Import or Copy Existing Site, click the Modify button. Choose one of the following options that appear:
- Import Existing Site
- Copy Existing Site
- In the dropdown, select the WordPress site you'd like to install/copy into this DreamPress site.
- Click Start Import.
- Progress bars display notifying you of the status of the import/copy.
This process is usually short but could take several hours to complete, depending on the size of your website. To avoid any issues, do not make changes to your site until the process is complete and you've received a confirmation email.
Migrating a WordPress site from a different host to DreamPress
See the following article to learn more about how to migrate your existing WordPress that is hosted elsewhere to DreamPress:
What if I don't have a DreamHost WordPress install?
If you're not using a DreamHost WordPress install, and wish to upgrade to DreamPress, you can contact support who will help you convert your existing WordPress site to a DreamHost WordPress install.