To run the commands in this article, you must log into your server via SSH with your Shell user. View the following articles for more information:
SWIG (the Simplified Wrapper and Interface Generator) is used by some packages to easily generate bindings to programming languages (e.g., Python).
These instructions are for installing SWIG version 3.0.5 from source.
[server]$ mkdir ~/soft [server]$ cd ~/soft
Download and extract the package
[server]$ wget https://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/swig/swig-3.0.5.tar.gz [server]$ tar xvzf swig-3.0.5.tar.gz [server]$ cd swig-3.0.5
Assuming you've followed the virtualenv directions, configure using:
[server]$ ./configure --prefix=$HOME --with-perl5=/usr/local/bin/perl --with-python=$HOME/opt/python-2.7.7/bin/python --with-ruby=/usr/bin/ruby
Compile and verify
[server]$ make [server]$ make check
You might get some errors about ocaml. These don't matter (unless you intend to use this version of SWIG to generate ocaml bindings too.
[server]$ make install
- Python overview
- SSH overview
- Guidelines for setting up a Python file at DreamHost
- Installing a custom version of Python 2
- Installing a custom version of Python 3
- Installing and using virtualenv with Python 2
- Installing and using virtualenv with Python 3
- Pyenv: simple Python version management
- Python setuptools