You will need the following information to log into your FTP account:
- FTP Username
- FTP Password
- FTP Port
The following sections will explain how to obtain each.
Finding your FTP server hostname
If your domain's DNS is set up to point to your hosting at DreamHost, you may use your domain's name as the FTP hostname. For example, if your website is named 'http://www.example.com' just use
Do not add http://www in front of the domain as that may cause it not to connect.
If you don't have a domain set up quite yet, you may also use the server's hostname. To find out what server you are on, log into the DreamHost panel and navigate to (Panel > ‘Billing & Account’ > ‘Manage Account’).
Scroll down to the section titled 'Domains Hosted'. There you will see your domain name. To the right, you will see your user and the server on which it’s configured:
In the above example, the server is named ‘gervais’. So in this example you could use the hostname gervais
.dreamhost.com to log in.
VPS, Dedicated, and DreamPress hostnames
If you are hosting your site on a VPS, Dedicated or DreamPress server, the hostname appears different under the 'Hosting Type' column. For example:
- If you have a VPS server, it would appear as 'ps123456'. In this case your hostname would be:
- If you have a Dedicated server, it would appear as 'ds123456'. In this case your hostname would be:
- If you have a DreamPress server, it would appear as 'wp123456'. In this case your hostname would be:
Locating the correct FTP user
You can find the FTP username that is attached to your domain's hosting in the panel. Just log in and navigate to (Panel > ‘Domains’ > ‘Manage Domains’):
Once there, you’ll see the username to the right of the domain under the ‘Web Hosting’ column:
Resetting your FTP user's password
If you don't know your user's password, you can change it in the panel. Log in and navigate to (Panel > ‘Users’ > ‘Manage Users’):
- Click the Edit button to the right of your username to edit it. The following page opens:
- On this page, you can change the password. Update it and then click the Save Changes button at the bottom.
After you’ve changed your password, please allow up to 20 minutes for it to update in the DreamHost system.
Choosing the FTP port
To connect, use the following port number setting for your type of user :
- FTP user
- connect with port number 21.
- SFTP or SHELL user
- connect with port number 22.
You can check if your user is an FTP/SFTP/SHELL user in your panel at (Panel > ‘Users’ > ‘Manage Users’).