Google Apps gives everyone at your organization a custom email address, tools for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, a shared calendaring system, and access to a flexible extranet system (standalone security and compliance services are also available). DreamHost offers an easy method for integrating Google Apps with your domain and even handles setting up all the DNS records for the domain to make their services function.
Everything else regarding these services must be managed in Google's control panel. Once you've made the changes in your DreamHost panel, log into Google's control panel here to sign up and start managing your site with them.
How to install Google Apps
There are two steps to install Google Apps:
Step one: Registering at Google Apps for your domain
You must register through Google's sign-up process before enabling your domain with Google Apps:
- Sign up for Google Apps.
- Verify your domain ownership. View the following article for instructions on how to add the verification code to your domain.
- Add users.
A user is defined as one personalized email address (i.e., email@example.com). Group email aliases (i.e., firstname.lastname@example.org) are included at no cost and don't count as users. You can read more about this here:
- Set up Google Apps billing and payments.
There is no longer a free option when setting up a new domain with Google Apps. You can read more about Google’s decision here:
Step two: Enabling Google Apps for your domain
Once you’ve registered for Google Apps and created a Google account for your domain as described above, there are two ways to enable it in your DreamHost panel:
Both methods produce the same result, so it’s completely up to you which one you use. But remember, it is strongly recommended that you perform this process during a convenient downtime window since email delivery may be disrupted and your users may need to change their email client settings.
When you enable Google Apps on your domain, your old DreamHost email addresses for that domain remain functional, but previously stored emails may not be retained. Be sure to backup all your stored emails before switching. You can view the following article for more information:
Manage Domains method
- Go to the (Panel > 'Domains' > 'Manage Domains') page.
- To the right of your domain, click the Edit button under the ‘Web Hosting’ column.
- The ‘Manage Domains’ page appears for this domain:
- In the Google Services section, check the box for “Google Services”.
- Click the blue Change Settings button to save.
Custom MX method
- Go to the (Panel > 'Mail' > 'Custom MX') page.
- Click the Edit button to the right of your domain.
- The ‘Custom MX’ page opens for this domain:
- To create the DNS records in your panel to point to Google, check the box marked “Also set up calendar.DOMAIN and docs.DOMAIN”.
- Click the blue I'm ready to use Google Apps now! button.