Using an MSP
- Sign up with an MSP.
- The MSP will provide you with new MX records.
- You will then need to edit your MX records so that incoming mail will be directed to your MSP first.
MSPs typically charge for their services based on what they offer, and often on a per email address basis.
- Go to Custom MX.
- Click the Edit button to the right of the domain to edit its settings.
- Scroll down to the ‘Custom MX Records’ section.
- Enter the MX Records your MSP gave you.
- Select the checkbox ‘I will still check my email at DreamHost.’.
Note your current MX settings, listed as "DreamHost MX Records". You will need to provide this information to your MSP so that they are able to know where to send your mail.
You'll still continue to use the Manage Email page to configure your domain's email addresses.
If you delete all the email addresses on a domain using custom MX records, the domain's mail service will revert to DreamHost-hosted mail service and the custom MX records will be erased from the panel.
Extra step needed for Anti-Spam users
If you are switching to an MSP and currently using DreamHost's Anti-spam settings, the MX records for your domain will currently point to the anti-spam servers, not the actual servers where your mail accounts are and where the MSP needs to send mail.
Never give the MSP an MX record such as vade-in1.mail.dreamhost.com as doing so will cause your emails to disappear.
You need to give the following MX records to the MSP. .