OPcache is a caching engine built into PHP. When enabled, it dramatically increases the performance of websites that utilize PHP. OPcache is enabled by default on all DreamHost servers.
What happened to XCache?
XCache will not work with PHP 7 or newer versions, so it is no longer recommended. Because of this, OPcache replaced the outdated “XCache” option which was previously available on Virtual Private Servers.
Unlike XCache, OPcache is supported on all versions of PHP that DreamHost offers, so there’s no special configuration required to make it work.
How to disable OPcache?
- Navigate to the Manage Domains page.
- Locate the domain on your VPS that you wish to disable OPcache on.
- To the right of this domain, click the 'Edit' link under the 'Web Hosting' column.
- On the domain's settings page, look under the section titled 'Web Options'.
- UN-check the box next to 'PHP OpCache Support'.
- Click the Change settings button to save.