Duplicati is a free backup client that securely stores encrypted, incremental, compressed backups on cloud-storage services and remote-file servers. It works with Linux, Mac, and Windows.
Duplicati has built-in AES-256 encryption and backups can be signed using GNU Privacy Guard. A built-in scheduler ensures that backups are always up-to-date. The Duplicati project was inspired by duplicity, and while similar, they are not compatible.
This article walks you through how to configure Duplicati with your DreamObjects account.
- Download Duplicati and open the program.
- On the left, click 'Add backup'.
- Select the option to 'Configure a new backup'.
- Give it a name and select AES-256 encryption, built-in.
- Enter a strong passphrase you'll remember.
- There are several fields on the next page. Make sure to enter them as follows:
- Storage Type: S3 Compatible
- Use SSL: Check this box
- Server: Choose 'Custom server url' and enter 'objects-us-east-1.dream.io'
This article uses the new DreamObjects cluster of 'objects-us-east-1.dream.io'. If you have an older DreamObjects account and have not migrated your data yet, your hostname must point to 'objects-us-west-1.dream.io instead. The 'Bucket create region' option would also point to 'US West (Northern California) in this case. Please review the following migration article for further details.
- Bucket name: Your bucket name
- Bucket create region: Choose 'US East (Northern Virginia) (us-east-1)
- Storage class: Leave as default
- Folder path: Enter a specific folder path if necessary
- AWS Access ID: Your user's Access Key
- AWS Access Key: Your user's Secret Key
- Click the 'Test connection' button to confirm you are connecting to DreamObjects.
- Click the 'Next' button.
- On the next page, choose which folders you'd like to backup.
- Set a schedule for your backups.
- Upload volume size default to 50MB.
- Under 'Advanced options' select 'AES-256 encryption, built-in'.
- Click the 'Save' button.
- Click 'Run now' to backup your files.