When you enable Cloudflare in your DreamHost panel, you have the choice between two types of subscriptions:
- Cloudflare Basic (free)
- All Cloudflare-enabled domains have access to the free Basic Cloudflare subscription at no cost.
- Cloudflare Plus ($9.95/month)
- The Cloudflare Plus subscription provides additional features such as image compression and is $9.95 per month.
Cloudflare subscriptions are purchased from and managed inside your DreamHost panel, and the one you choose controls which features are available for a Cloudflare-enabled domain. Some features require use of the Cloudflare dashboard.
For more information on Cloudflare and how to enable it, please see the Cloudflare overview article.
How Cloudflare subscriptions work
Any subscription you enable for a domain, along with all of the Cloudflare features for that plan, are available to ALL of its subdomains at no extra charge. Please note, however, that you must specifically enable Cloudflare on each subdomain.
To explain, a single subscription covers both example.com and any subdomains, such as blog.example.com. However, a different domain like dreamhostexample.com requires a separate Cloudflare subscription. You may enable Cloudflare for an unlimited number of subdomains.
Enabling Cloudflare subscriptions
Visit the Cloudflare article for instructions on how to enable this service on your domain. When you add a service, you’ll see the two subscription options which are described below.
If you currently have the Plus option for SSL support and no longer want it, you can switch to Basic by canceling the Plus option and then switching to the free option instead. In order to facilitate the switch to the Basic option, you must enable the 'Add WWW' option in the DreamHost panel in order to complete the process. For more information about adding 'www' to your domain, please visit the following article:
Cloudflare Basic (FREE)
Cloudflare Basic includes:
- Global CDN with multiple points presences around the world
- Front-end web content optimization using RockLoader and AutoMinify
- Broad security
- SSL support
- IPv6 compatibility
- Site analytics (24-hour delay)
- Railgun optimization
Cloudflare Plus ($9.95/month)
In addition to all the benefits of the Free service, the Cloudflare Plus plan includes:
- Faster website performance and advanced imaged optimization (better mobile performance) through access to Cloudflare’s Polish, Mirage, and Lazy Loading features
- 10 URL rules
- Site analytics (1-hour delay)
Making changes to your Cloudflare subscription
Visit the Cloudflare article for instructions on how to enable the Cloudflare service and choose a subscription plan.
DreamHost subscriptions vs. Cloudflare subscriptions
As hosting partners with Cloudflare, DreamHost’s Cloudflare subscriptions provide you with many of the same benefits of using Cloudflare’s services directly inside your DreamHost panel. You don’t need to change your domain's nameservers to Cloudflare’s to get these benefits.
Cloudflare’s “Free” plan vs. DreamHost’s “Basic (free!)” plan
With the November 2016 update, there is no difference between the two for any domain that signs up with Cloudflare after the update.
Cloudflare’s “Pro” plan vs. DreamHost’s “Plus” plan
Cloudflare also offers a “Pro” plan at $20 per month. There are three big differences between Cloudflare's Pro plan and DreamHost's Plus plan:
- DreamHost's Plus plan does not have the Web Application Firewall (WAF). However, all shared, VPS, and DreamPress accounts do include the WAF installed on the Linux web server.
- Cloudflare's Pro plan has a 15-minute delay vs. 1-hour delay (DreamHost Plus plan) on analytics.
- Cloudflare's Pro plan has 20 vs. 10 (DreamHost Plus plan) PageRules.