There are many reasons for changing nameservers – you may need to host a domain elsewhere, or perhaps you want to run your DNS through a CDN (content delivery network) like Cloudflare. You can change a domain’s nameservers on the Registrations page.
This article explains how to update the nameservers for domains that are registered with DreamHost. If you own the registration elsewhere, you must make the nameserver change with the current registrar.
You can update the nameservers through two different pages on the DreamHost panel.
When you change your nameservers, all of your DNS points to the new hosting company.
If you want to host email at a different company than where your nameservers are pointed, make sure to also update your email DNS records as well.
Using the Manage Domains page to make a change
One of the main pages you will be accessing for the management of your domains hosting is Manage Domains:
- Under the domain name you wish to edit, click the 'DNS' link.
- The following page appears
If the nameserver section is not listed on the above page, it means the domain isn't registered with DreamHost and its nameservers aren't controlled from the DreamHost panel.
- Erase the nameservers listed in each box and replace them with the nameservers provided by the new host. (Note: Not all hosts require three or four nameservers.)
- Click the Set these nameservers for example.com! button to save your changes.
Using the Registrations page to make a change
Any change you make to your domain registration occurs immediately, including edits to WHOIS, nameserver(s), and registrant information.
You can also edit the nameservers on the Registrations page. If your domain is listed on this page, it is registered with DreamHost and the nameservers can be edited.
The only exception is *.uk domain names. If you attempt to change the WHOIS info in the panel, you'll see this message:
Clicking the link takes you to 'secure.nominet.org.uk'. You can then change your WHOIS information there.
- Click the Whois Info button located next to your domain registration (or, if you have multiple registrations, check the box under the 'Modify Whois?' column next to the domain you want to modify and then click the Modify Whois! button).
- On the next page, click the Nameservers tab and select the 'Use another host's nameservers' option to change your nameservers to another host (or, you can set DreamHost's nameservers automatically by clicking the radio button for 'Use DreamHost’s nameservers').
- If you set your DNS to point to another host’s nameservers instead of using DreamHost’s, the following fields appear on the Nameservers page:
- In the fields provided, enter the nameservers for the other hosting company.