This article describes how to migrate an existing Discussion or Announcement List from one account to another.
Do not delete the domain from your account until your lists are backed up by DreamHost support. If you delete the domain before the lists are backed up, the data may be permanently lost.
Backing up your site
To move a list to a new account, you must eventually delete your site from the current account. Before you do this, make sure to backup all your data. Visit the following page for step-by-step instructions:
Moving a Discussion List
Follow each step in order to prevent any data loss when migrating a Discussion List:
- Make sure the new account has no issue adding the domain to their panel. This means the new account cannot be using an active promotion or have a listed referrer. If you're unsure about this, contact support. You can do this on the (Panel > 'Support' > 'Contact Support') page.
Make sure the request to export the list contents is submitted from the primary email address of the old account. This is mandatory before support can migrate the list.
- Let support know that you wish to migrate your list to another account. Specify the exact listname and the account number of the new account to migrate it to.
- Have the owner of the "Receiving account" contact support from the email address they signed up from. The owner of this account must declare that they approve the transfer of the domain and Discussion List(s) to their account.
- DreamHost support can then backup your list.
- Support will then notify you that you can delete the list and domain from your panel.
Recreating the lists
- Once you’ve deleted the domain from the old account, add it to the new account.
- Recreate the list on the (Panel > 'Mail' > 'Discussion List') page. The following article explains how:
- After the new list is created, have the new account owner contact DreamHost support from the primary email address of the new account and request the backed up list be migrated to the new list.
- Support will complete the import for you and notify you when finished.
Moving an Announcement List
Fist make sure to backup your site data as mentioned above. Once complete, proceed with the following steps.
- Make sure the new account has no issue adding the domain to their panel. This means the new account cannot be using an active promotion or have a listed referrer. If you're unsure about this, contact support.
- Have the owner of the "Receiving account" contact support from the email address they signed up from. The owner of this account must declare that they approve the transfer of the domain and Announcement List(s) to their account.
- The owner of the "Losing account" must contact support to confirm they wish the Announcement List to be migrated to the new account.
- Wait for support to respond. DO NOT DELETE YOUR DOMAIN.
- Only after support has contacted you notifying you that the list is backed up and that it's ok to delete the domain should you proceed.
Support will then complete the process.