This article walks you through installing ownCloud using SSH. Please review the following articles before beginning as you'll need access to a terminal and basic knowledge of how to run Shell commands:
Enable the PHP intl extension
ownCloud requires the PHP intl extension to function. This is not enabled by default on your server, so you must manually enable it using the following article:
Make sure to confirm it's loaded using a phpinfo.php file before continuing.
- Visit ownCloud’s download page.
- Look for the section to download a 'Tar' or 'Zip' file.
This example uses the Tar file.
- The next page details all steps to install. Right click the Download Tar button and choose 'Copy link Address'.
- Log into your server via SSH.
- Navigate to the directory you wish to install ownCloud
- Run a 'wget' command to download the .tar.bz2 file. Type in wget, followed by the link you copied above.
[server]$ wget https://download.owncloud.org/community/owncloud-10.0.8.tar.bz2
- Under the Download Tar button, right click 'sha256' and choose 'Copy link Address'. Then run 'wget' to download this file.
[server]$ wget https://download.owncloud.org/community/owncloud-10.0.8.tar.bz2.sha256
- Next, verify the sha256 signature against the .tar.bz2 file to ensure it's matches.
[server]$ sha256sum -c owncloud-10.0.8.tar.bz2.sha256 < owncloud-10.0.8.tar.bz2 owncloud-10.0.8.tar.bz2: OK
- If it says 'OK', decompress the file:
[server]$ tar xvjf owncloud-10.0.8.tar.bz2
- In your browser, navigate to the /owncloud folder. The URL is most likely something like example.com/owncloud.
- Enter a username and password, and then click the Finish setup button.
Install a desktop client
You can also install a desktop client for Windows, Mac, and Linux. These allow you to interact with ownCloud from your local computer. Visit the following link for details:
Connecting to DreamObjects
Now that you've installed ownCloud, you can start using it to manage your data. If you're already using a DreamObjects account to store your data, you can link that to your ownCloud installation. View the following article for instructions:
To remove your website ownCloud installation, just delete the directory of ownCloud files.
For the desktop clients, uninstall the program like any other program on your operating system.