Using the web installer
The following instructions use the web installer method to install ownCloud. It is the easiest installation method since it checks dependencies, sets permissions, and downloads the latest version. You can then complete the installation from your browser. If you encounter problems using the web installer, you can also download the tar.bz2 file from the server installation instructions and extract it to the desired location.
- Right-click here and save the file to your computer. You can also run the following command via SSH to download it to your server:
[server]$ wget https://download.owncloud.com/download/community/setup-owncloud.php
- If you chose to manually download the file, use the FTP article to upload setup-owncloud.php to your server in the proper domain directory.
- Point your web browser to example.com/setup-owncloud.php
- Click the Next button, and then follow the instructions to configure ownCloud.
- Log into your newly created ownCloud instance.
- Download the latest .tar.bz2 archive from ownCloud’s download page.
- Make sure to adjust the following command to the version you’ve chosen to download, and then run the following command via SSH:
[server]$ wget https://download.owncloud.org/community/owncloud-8.0.3.tar.bz2
- Decompress the following file:
[server]$ tar xvjf owncloud-8.0.3.tar.bz2
- Point your browser to that new /owncloud folder, which most likely appears as example.com/owncloud.
- Enter a username and password, and then click the Finish setup button.