When you cloak a domain, the domain name continues to appear in your browser's address bar. However, the contents you are viewing are from a completely different website. View this article from Wikipedia for further information:
To cloak a domain:
- Navigate to the (Panel > 'Domains' > 'Manage Domains') page.
- Click the Edit button to the right of the domain under the 'Web Hosting' column.
- Scroll down to the 'Cloaked' section.
The following example shows the domain 'example.com'. Your domain appears instead when making this configuration.
- Enter the two required fields:
- Site to display: The site URL you enter here is the site the visitor sees when typing in your URL.
- Title in browser: The site URL you enter here is what shows in the browser's URL bar.
- Click Cloak this domain to save.
It may take several hours for the new DNS configuration to resolve online due to DNS propagation.
It's possible that after you create the cloak and it has propagated online, the following error appears:
Domain Cloaking Error We're sorry, we had a problem with our web panel when you set up cloaking for your domain example.com! Please go to the DreamHost Web Panel's Domains > Manage Domains area and click the [Edit] link next to example.com to re-configure cloaking. Error: no domain example.com -- if you recently set this up, please wait up to one hour.
If you are still seeing the error after a few hours, contact DreamHost on the support (Panel > ‘Support’ > ‘Contact Support’) page.