Subversion has been removed from the DreamHost panel. If you had previously configured Subversion on your domain, it will continue to function normally.
TortoiseSVN is a Subversion client. It is a graphical interface you can use on your Windows computer to connect to your SVN repository at DreamHost. Using a client in this way allows you to manage your repository without running any shell commands as shown in the Subversion article.
This article is a very simple example of how to use TortoiseSVN. For further instructions, please view the official site:
Visit the following link to download TortoiseSVN to your computer:
Connecting to your repository
- Create a repository in your DreamHost panel as detailed in the following article:
- On your Windows computer, navigate to an empty directory.
- In this example, a folder named /TortoiseSVN/mysvn has been created in the /Documents folder:
- Right-click anywhere in this directory.
- In the menu, select 'SVN Checkout'.
- In the prompt, enter your site URL followed by the name of the Subversion project. This is the name you created in the panel.
- Click the OK button. TortoiseSVN connects to your repository and checks it out to your local computer, and a confirmation message appears showing what revision it's currently at.
- This also creates a .svn folder on your computer:
- Move any files you like into this working copy directory.
- In this example a simple text file is the only thing added:
- Right-click in the folder, and then select 'TortoiseSVN > Add' from the menu.
- Even though the file is in the directory, it must still be added to the working copy.
- This adds the file to the working copy:
- Commit the change by right clicking and selecting 'SVN Commit...'.
- In the commit window, add a message to remind you why you're making this commit.
- Select the file and then click OK.
- A confirmation message displays with your new revision number: