DreamHost has licensed Jeroen Wijering's excellent Flash Media Player. This tool enables all DreamHost customers to embed streamed audio and video into any of their web pages.
The current version number installed at DreamHost is shown at https://media.dreamhost.com/ (right-click the player for the full version string). The most recent version can be found at the author's site and installing it on your site is very easy.
Converting your video in the panel
The Flash Media Player can only play videos in "FLV" format. If you need to convert your video, you can use the tool in your DreamHost panel.
- Visit the Goodies (Panel > 'Goodies' > 'Flash Media')
- You have two options on this page:
- Convert one file
- Convert a whole directory of files
- Choose your domain and the file that is already uploaded into its directory.
- You can then choose the dimensions and quality settings.
- Click I'm done uploading, convert this file now....
- Once complete you are emailed from email@example.com notifying you that the file is converted and its new location.
The DreamHost Flash Video Converter will have saved a copy of your video into an .FLV format in the same directory as your original with a similar filename. After the encoding is complete, you may delete the original video from your webspace.
Adding the flv video to your site
The email you receive after the file conversion contains a few lines of code. For example:
You can add this code to an HTML file to display your .flv video.