Tumblr is a micro-blogging service that offers you the ability to replace your Tumblr URL with an external domain. It requires you to change the DNS A record for your registered domain to Tumblr's IP address.
This article describes how to configure a custom domain registered with DreamHost for use with Tumblr as well as setting up optional DNS records for Round Robin DNS protection.
- The following instructions are only necessary if you want your root domain (or the www version of your domain) to point to Tumblr.
- If you want a subdomain to point to Tumblr, you just need to add a custom DNS record.
Configuring Tumblr for a custom domain registered with DreamHost
- Go to the Manage Domains page.
- The Manage Domains page opens.
- To the right of your domain, click the Edit button under the ‘Web Hosting’ column.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Host DNS only! button.
- On the ‘Manage Domains’ page, click the "DNS" link under the domain's name.
- Proceed to one of the following sections based on how many levels your custom domain contains:
- If your custom domain contains two levels (e.g., example.com), use the A-record method.
- If your custom domain contains three or more levels (e.g., www.example.com or blog.example.com), use the CNAME-record method.
Using the A-record method
- Enter the following
- Name: leave it blank
- Type: enter A
- Value: enter 184.108.40.206 (Tumblr's IP Address)
Using the CNAME-record method
- Enter the following
- Name: enter www
- Type: select CNAME
- Value: enter domains.tumblr.com
Finishing the setup
- Click the Settings button under the account menu at the top of the dashboard.
- Select the blog you’d like to update.
- Click the pencil to the right of the Username section (the Tumblr URL section for secondary blogs), and then enable "Use a custom domain."
- Enter your domain (e.g., example.com) or subdomain (e.g., blog.example.com). Then click “Test your domain.”
- Correct any problems if the test finds any, and then click “Test your domain” until the test is successful.
- Click the Save button.
You can view additional information on the Tumblr page: