Blogger is a blog-publishing service owned by Google. The blogs that are hosted on Blogger by Google are hosted on subdomains of blogspot.com. It is also possible to host a blog at Blogger.com and use your own custom domain to display the blog.
This article provides information about using the Blogger service with your own custom domain name.
URL options for hosting your Blogger blog
There are two ways to publish a blog on Blogger:
- Hosted on blogspot (e.g., example.blogspot.com)
- Hosted on a custom domain (e.g., www.example.com)
This article concentrates on the second option of hosting a blog on your own custom domain.
How to host your Blogger site using your DreamHost domain
Registering your domain name
The first thing you must do (if you haven't done so already) is register a domain to point to the Blogger.com blog site. If you would like to register a new domain, visit the Registrations page.
View the Domain Registration article for further details. If you already have a domain registered, proceed to the next section.
Setting the domain to DNS only
- Navigate to the Manage Domains page.
- Click the Add Hosting to a Domain / Sub-Domain button at the top of the page.
If the domain is already hosted, just click thelink to the right.
- On the next page, scroll down to the DNS Only section near the bottom.
- Add the new domain, then click the Host DNS only! button.
Configuring your domain at Blogger
- Log in to your Blogger account at blogger.com.
- After you log in, your blog appears at the top:
- In the left pane, click the
- On the ‘Settings’ page is a section titled Publishing:
- Click the link under your Blog Address titled
- Your third party domain must begin with www in order to work:
- Click the Save button.
- An error displays with two DNS entries listed below.
- The two CNAME records that display below the error are CNAME records you must implement in the Custom DNS section of you DreamHost panel.
- Copy the CNAME entries, then navigate back to the Manage Domains page in your DreamHost panel.
- Click the link directly below your domain.
- View the CNAME Record article for details on how to input your two CNAME records.
- Once you enter them, they appear as follows:
Once the custom Blogger CNAME records have been set, allow up to 6 hours for the new CNAME records to propagate before the new CNAME entries are recognized across the Internet. View the DNS propagation article for further details.
- After the DNS has propagated, navigate back to the ‘Settings’ menu in your Blogger account.
- Once again, click the link.
- Enter your domain with the www in front, and then click the Save button.
After you make these adjustments, it may take up to 24 hours for your blogspot.com address to redirect to your new custom domain.