This article instructs you how to renew an SSL certificate. Please note that this article only applies to professionally-signed SSL certificates purchased through Comodo.
How to renew a certificate
SSL certificates do not auto-renew by default. You must manually renew them within your panel.
Certificate Authorities typically send expiration/renewal reminders to the admin address anywhere from 30 to 90 days before the certificate’s expiration date. This is to let you know that you MUST take action to renew the SSL certificate. DreamHost sends SSL certificate renewal notices to the primary contact address of the account 35 days before the expiration date of the certificate. You can then manually initiate the renewal process in your panel.
There are two ways to renew your signed SSL certificate which are described in the following sections.
Renewing your signed-certificate by purchasing a renewal in your panel
- This is basically the same procedure as purchasing a new professionally-signed SSL certificate.
- The system already recognizes that your current SSL certificate is going to expire soon and processes a renewal order for you.
- Once the order has been approved, your renewed SSL certificate is installed in to your panel automatically.
- Navigate to the (Panel > ‘Domains’ > ‘Secure Hosting’) page.
- Under 'Inactive SSL Certificates click the 'Show' link.
- To the right of your domain click the 'Renew' link.
- Review your information on the next page and click Renew now!.
- A success message appears confirming the SSL certificate was renewed.
- You will receive an email with further information once the system has updated the certificate.
Renewing your certificate with another Certificate Authority
If you wish to renew the certificate with another Certificate Authority, you can simply copy the Certificate Signing Request that's currently in your panel and use it to initiate the renewal process with them. You can access your Certificate Signing Request by following the instructions in the Purchasing a Signed Certificate from a Certificate Authority (CA) article.
If you cannot find an available Certificate Signing Request in the panel for the domain/subdomain, please see the Generating or Regenerating a CSR article instructions on how to replace it.
When should you renew the certificate?
Make sure you renew the certificate BEFORE the expiration date. This ensures you will not lose any protection.
Please note that even if you renew before the expiration date, you will not lose any time on your current certificate which you've already paid for.