The 'DreamObjects Backups' plugin comes pre-installed with your WordPress installation on DreamPress. DreamObjects is DreamHost's cloud-based storage system, and the DreamObjects Backups plugin in WordPress allows you to store your site's data in DreamObjects.
Since it is always a good idea to back up your WordPress data on a regular basis, you can set up DreamObjects Backups to automatically save your data. You also receive a 30-day free trial to use DreamObjects Backups.
You must first create a user and a bucket in DreamObjects in order to use the DreamObjects Backups plugin. If you need help creating a user and a bucket, please see the 'What do I need to use DreamObjects?' section in the following article:
The following describes in three steps how to activate and use the DreamObjects Backups plugin in WordPress.
Step 1 — Activating the DreamObjects Backups plugin
To activate the plugin:
- Open the WP-Admin panel page for your WordPress site and click 'Plugins > Installed Plugins' in the left pane.
- The Plugins page opens showing you all the available plugins for your site:
- Click the 'Activate' link under the DreamObjects Backups plugins.
- After you click the Activate link, DreamObjects appears in the left pane:
- Click the DreamObjects link in the left pane and proceed to the next step. The DreamObjects Backups page opens, prompting you to enter the Access Keys for your DreamObjects user.
Step 2 — Finding your DreamObjects Access Keys
In order to use the DreamObjects Backups plugin, you must first create a user and a bucket in the panel. Once you create these, then you can obtain your DreamObjects keys using the following instructions:
- Navigate to the DreamObjects in the DreamHost panel.
- The DreamObjects Manage Users page opens:
- Click the username you wish to use, and then copy BOTH of the following keys:
- Access Key (alphanumeric number shown on the left)
- Secret Key (alphanumeric number shown on the right—click 'Show Secret Key' to reveal it)
- Return to the DreamObjects Backups main page in WP-Admin and proceed to the next step.
Step 3 — Configuring DreamObjects Backups in WordPress
After you obtain your DreamObjects keys from the DreamHost panel, use the following instructions to finalize the configuration of the DreamObjects Backups plugin:
- Open the WP-Admin panel page for your WordPress site and click 'DreamObjects' in the left pane.
- The DreamObjects Backups setup page opens, prompting you to enter your DreamObjects Access Keys:
- Under Access Keys, enter the following keys that you obtained from the previous section:
- Secret Key
- When finished entering your access keys, click the Save Changes button.
- The following page appears confirming that the plugin has successfully connected to your DreamObjects user:
- Click 'DreamObjects > Backups' in the left pane. The 'Backups' sub-link is added after your successfully to connect to DreamObjects.
- The DreamObjects Settings page opens:
- Select a bucket from the 'Bucket Name' drop-down menu, and then click the Update Options button.
- The Settings page confirms the bucket and shows you additional settings you can select:
- Select the options you wish to enable for your backups:
- What to Backup
- Backup Retention
- Status Notification
- Click Update Options when finished.
- The bottom of the DreamObjects Backup Settings page shows you the status of recent backups:
- Click the Backup ASAP button if you wish to run an immediate backup of your WordPress site.
The DreamObjects Backups plugin is configured and ready to use to back up your WordPress site.
When your free trial is over, DreamHost charges you for DreamObjects storage. Currently, DreamObjects costs 2.5¢/GB of storage per month. If you need to download and restore a backup from DreamObjects, it costs 5¢/GB per month. This is very inexpensive storage for keeping your backup data on a different server than your DreamPress account.