If you are having trouble migrating a WordPress site from another host yourself or just don't have the time, DreamHost currently offers a service that takes care of that for you: for just $99 and in less than 48 hours, DreamHost will move your WordPress site without any downtime. Please take a look at the Terms of Service (TOS) for further details about the process. If you want DreamHost to move forward with migrating your site, please submit a ticket with the domain name you wish to migrate and also include the following statement:
- I agree to the WordPress migrations TOS and the $99 charge.
DreamHost will pass your ticket it to the capable hands of the Professional Services team to get you started.
Migrating your website from one hosting company to another can be a challenge, as it requires a lot of downloading, uploading, importing, and exporting to get it done correctly. To make matters worse, if you mess up on any of the numerous steps, you end up with a site that doesn’t work.
ManageWP is a migration tool you can use to move your WordPress site between hosts.
This article shows you how to migrate using 'ManageWP' which is just one migration option available to you. View the following article for an overview of other ways to migrate your WordPress site:
Installing the ManageWP plugin on both sites
You must first install the ManageWP Worker plugin on both the old site and new DreamHost site. The directions below explain how to find and install the plugin.
- In your WordPress panel, click the 'Plugins' menu option from the left menu.
- Click the Add New button at the top.
- In the search box on the top right, search for 'ManageWP'.
- Install and Activate the plugin.
Visit the following ManageWP Worker plugin page for further details:
Signing up for a ManageWP plan
Visit the following site:
Click the Sign up button, and then create an account.
Adding both sites to ManageWP
- Log into the ManageWP website at https://orion.managewp.com/login.
- On the top left, click the + icon to add a new website.
- Click the green Add Website button at the bottom to add it to Manage WP.
- A success message appears that confirms it has been added.
If you get a message saying ManageWP could not connect to the site, make sure that the plugin has been installed and is Activated. Once Activated, it should sync.
Backing up the old site in the ManageWP dashboard
- Open the ManageWP dashboard.
- In the ManageWP dashboard, click the 'Backups' menu item on the left.
- Click the green Activate Backups button in the center.
- Choose the free or paid version. ManageWP then takes a few moments to backup your site.
View the following link for further details:
Cloning your old site to your DreamHost site
After the site is backed up, you see three options in the ManageWP dashboard:
- Click the 'Clone' button.
- Choose where you'd like to clone the website to.
- Click the Clone button at the bottom of the page to proceed.
- A status bar displays that confirms the migration's progress:
Confirming your site has been migrated
After cloning is complete, the following message appears:
Click the 'here' link to view the new DreamHost website. Your site should now appear as an exact clone of the old site.
If you are using DreamPress and it still displays a default WordPress theme rather than the one from the source website, you may need to click purge the cache (at the top of the WordPress dashboard).
If everything looks correct, the process is complete.