The following describes how to set up email using Mac Mail version 12.4 (macOS Mojave) and 13.0 (macOS Catalina).
Before you begin
The following section is also available as an instructional video:
Step 1 — Verifying the email user exists in your web panel
Make sure your email user is already set up in the DreamHost panel by going to Manage Email.
- You will see your mail user listed on the page:
Step 2 — Finding your email server
In the past, it was possible to use mail.example.com to connect (where example.com is your actual domain name). Due to how modern mail clients handle security, this is now NOT recommended as it may throw connection errors. Please ensure you are only using your mail server name when connecting.
It will be one of the following depending on if you're connecting using IMAP or POP:
IMAP hostname: imap.dreamhost.com
POP hostname: pop.dreamhost.com
When you set up the first email address under a domain (that is configured to be hosted with DreamHost), the DreamHost system automatically creates the necessary hostnames and MX records that are required to process email for that domain. Please also note that if this is your first address on a domain, it may take up to 6hrs for those emails to function.
Step 3 — Setting up a new account in Mail
- Open the Apple Mail application by clicking the Mail icon on the bottom dock. You can also click the magnifying glass on the top right and type the word 'Mail' into the search bar.
- If you need to add an additional account, click 'Mail > Add Account...'.
- The mail app opens and asks you to select an account provider. The 'Choose a mail account provider...' page opens:
- Select the Other Mail Account… option and click the Continue button. This example uses the email address firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Enter the following:
- Name: This is how you'd like your name displayed when sending email.
- Email Address: This field must contain the full email address.
- Password: This is the password you set up for the email when creating it in your panel.
- Click the Sign In button when finished. You should receive notification reading the name or password cannot be identified. This is normal due to DreamHost's mail server configuration.
- To fix the error, make sure the following three fields are configured:
- Account Type: Choose IMAP or POP
- Incoming Mail Server: Your mail server name. This is either imap.dreamhost.com or pop.dreamhost.com.
- Outgoing Mail Server: This is smtp.dreamhost.com.
- Click the Sign In button to proceed.
- Choose which apps you'd like to associate with this account and click Done.
Your new email address is now set up and ready to use. You can send a test message to confirm it's working properly.
Updating your incoming port to a secure port
When you follow the directions above, Mac Mail automatically sets up an insecure incoming port. To adjust this to a secure port, view the following instructions:
- Editing Incoming/Outgoing settings in Mojave
Troubleshooting certificate mismatch errors
View the following article for instructions on how to resolve any SSL certificate mismatch errors:
- Trusting the certificate in Mac Mail or iPhone
- Email client configuration overview
- Email client protocols and port numbers
- Mac Mail — Configuring email with Mac OS X Yosemite
- Mac Mail — How to make changes to an existing Mail account
- http://www.apple.com/support/mac-apps/mail/ – Apple Mail Support