DreamHost has partnered with the makers of BlogVault to provide DreamHost Automated Migration, a free WordPress plugin that allows you to quickly and easily migrate your WordPress site to DreamHost.
This article is an overview of the initial configuration steps you must take before using the plugin. When ready, you can use either of the following options to migrate your WordPress site:
The following must be configured before using the DreamHost Automated Migration Plugin:
Update your site
Make sure you test and install all available updates for WordPress, including all installed themes and plugins.
Add a hosting plan
You must have an active account and hosting plan at DreamHost in order to use the Automated Migration plugin. View the following article for an overview of the available hosting plans at DreamHost:
If you are not yet a DreamHost customer, view the following article for information on how to sign up for a DreamHost account:
Can I use this plugin to migrate a WordPress multisite?
Yes. After installing the plugin, make sure to 'Network Activate' it to ensure it can run from the Network Admin dashboard. However, please note the following considerations:
- The migration must move the whole network to DreamHost. It does not allow the migration of individual subsites, or the import of a subsite into a different network.
- The recommended hosting plans for WordPress Multisite are VPS, Dedicated, or DreamCompute. Multisite installs on Shared and DreamPress plans are not recommended or supported.
- DreamHost Support does not offer technical assistance with Multisite installs.
Are there any restrictions or limitations?
The plugin will work with the vast majority of WordPress sites, themes, plugins, and configurations. However, please note that you cannot migrate the following types of sites using this plugin:
- WordPress sites set up at WordPress.com. However, you can import the content of your pages, posts, and embedded images.
- Sites built using Wix, Weebly, SquareSpace, Joomla, or other site builders
- WordPress sites developed in local environments (e.g., ServerPress)
- Your site must already be a WordPress site in order to migrate an exact copy of your site using this or any other plugin.
Are there size limits on the migration?
At this time, you can migrate a WordPress site of any size using this plugin. Please note the time to complete the migration increases for larger sites.