The functions in the fileinfo module try to guess the content type and encoding of a file by looking for certain magic byte sequences at specific positions within the file. While this is not a bullet proof approach, the heuristics used do a very good job.
You can find more information about fileinfo at php.net – File Information.
- Create a phprc file under your username. View the following articles for instructions on how to create a phprc file.
If the file already exists, view the following articles for instructions on how to update it (depending on if you're using an FTP client or SSH):
- Once you’ve created your phprc file, add the following line to it:
extension = fileinfo.so
- Save your phprc file and restart php. View the killing PHP processes article for details.
- Check to see if your changes have updated.
- Add a new file to your website titled phpinfo.php and include the following code:
<?php phpinfo(); ?>
- View the following URL in your browser:
- You should see the following in the page that appears: