See the following article to learn more about Discussion Lists:
Creating a Discussion List
- Navigate to the Discussion Lists page.
- Click the Create New Discussion List button at the top.
- The 'Creating Discussion List' page opens:
- Enter the following information about your Discussion List.
- List Name: Enter the name of your Discussion List. For example, if your list is for dog owners, you can name it "doglovers" or something similar. This is also the first part of the list's email address, e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org.
- List Owner Email Addresses, one per line: Enter email addresses for the owners/admins of the list, who will then have full access to edit it within the panel. You can set multiple owners of the list if necessary.
- List Password: Enter your chosen password for the list. Just like any password, you want this to be secure. Visit the Passwords overview article for details on how to create a secure password. Also, note that this password only applies to this list, and nothing else within your account.
- Select ONE of the following:
The Use an existing domain option will only appear if you have previously set up a discussion list. Otherwise, you will need to use the Create a new sub-domain option. The subdomain is always included in the discussion list URL and it is NOT possible to configure a list without it.
- Use an existing domain: Select and existing domain from the drop-down menu. The discussion list URL automatically prepends 'lists' to an existing subdomain.
- Create a new sub-domain: Enter a name for the discussion list on the new sub-domain. The second field is a drop-down menu for you to select which domain you want the list to be created under.
- Create Convenience Addresses: If you check this box, a series of additional email addresses are created specifically for your list. For example:
- This option is checked by default and most often it’s a good idea to create these addresses.
- These convenience addresses only function if you’re hosting email with DreamHost. If you’re using a third-party email host such as Google, convenience addresses will NOT function.
- Click the Create Discussion List Now! button to create the list.
Since the subdomain is a new DNS record, it requires some time for the DNS to update online, and may take up to 6 hours. The list itself should only take about 30 minutes to create in your panel.
External link (including info on Mailman and convenience addresses)
- GNU Mailman – List Administration Manual, 1.1 A List's Email Addresses
- GNU Mailman – List Administration Manual, 2.7.1 Subscription Rules
- GNU Mailman – List Administration Manual, 2.8 The Bounce Processing Category
- GNU Mailman – 3.28. What are all the "special" email addresses used for a list
- GNU Mailman - List Member Manual, 3.2 The Email Interface