You can purchase a certificate directly from a Certificate Authority (CA) and install it in to your DreamHost panel. To do this, you’ll need a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) which can be found in your panel.
The following steps explain how to obtain this CSR in your panel:
- Review the Adding Secure Hosting (self-signed certificate) article to add Secure Hosting and a self-signed certificate to your domain.
- Go to the (Panel > 'Domains' > 'Secure Hosting') page.
- To the right of your domain, click on the 'Change' link.
- When the 'Secure Hosting' page opens, click the 'Import SSL' radio button to expose the current certificate information.
- There are several large text fields on this page:
- COPY (do NOT cut) the text from the Certificate Signing Request field box.
- Paste the text into the order form from whichever Certificate Authority you'd like to purchase your signed SSL certificate.
When purchasing a signed SSL certificate, you must specify the server type:
- To use the SSL certificate on DreamHost's servers, specify the server type as:
Apache 2.X w/MOD_SSL
- Once you successfully complete your purchase, the CA sends you the signed SSL certificate; you can then replace the self-signed SSL certificate with this signed SSL certificate in your panel.
- For more information, see the Installing a Signed Certificate you've already purchased article.
- Adding an SSL certificate overview
- How do I add a free Let's Encrypt certificate?
- Let's Encrypt SSL certificate overview
- Secure Hosting overview
- How do I purchase a professionally-signed SSL certificate?
- How do I install a third-party SSL certificate?
- How do I add a free self-signed SSL certificate?