By default, domain registrations are not automatically renewed. This is different from hosting plans, which are automatically renewed. This article provides information on renewing your domains that are registered through DreamHost.
The following domains are known as 'Auto-Renew Only' domains:
If you own one of these domains, view the following article:
Option #1: Setting your domain to auto-renew
You can set the automatic renewal of your domain registration in your panel at Registrations:
On the Registrations page, you see this column for your domain registration in the far right. In the image above, the auto-renewal option is already set since the word 'YES' is in bold. Click the other links to set the other status.
- The yes link sets the auto-renewal for the domain. The notices are still sent as per usual, but the notice states that the domain is automatically renewed when it is set to expire and the charge for that automatic renewal is applied to your account instead of requiring a payment for this up front.
- The let expire link sets the domain to expire on its expiration date, but the notices for this will still be sent as per ICANN’s policy with regards to notifying the registration owner of this information.
- The ask link sends notices to ask you if you wish to renew it. Manual renewals require payment up front when clicking the Renew! button for that domain on the Registrations page.
Regardless of how you set up the renewal process for your domain, the notices for the domain’s expiration are still sent even if it’s set to 'let expire'. Starting 5 weeks before the domain’s expiration date, DreamHost begins sending you notices of the domain’s expiration and how you can renew it if you wish to do so.
The image above shows the renewal is processed for free as it’s showing a $0.00 price. Clicking the Renew! button renews the domain within 30 minutes.
You can click the drop-down menu to renew the domain for multiple years. However, DreamHost only allows up to a 2-year renewal for any domain name.
For more information on how auto-renew domains are renewed and charged at DreamHost, please see:
Option #2: Manually renewing a domain
If your DreamHost panel access is restricted due to a past-due amount or account suspension, you must resolve any outstanding account balance or suspension before you can purchase, renew, or transfer-in a domain registration.
To manually renew your domain name:
- Visit the Registrations page.
- Click on the Renew! button to the right of the domain name you wish to renew.
- The next pages displays the domain and the renewal price.
The renewal price may show as $0.00. You still must continue this process to renew the domain registration.
- Click the Register Domain(s) Now button.
It's currently not possible to renew multiple domains at once.
Paying for the domain
If a registration renewal price increases after you receive a renewal notice, DreamHost will honor the quoted rate in the notice. For example, if your quoted renewal is $9.99/year and the price then increases to $11.99/year, DreamHost will still bill you at $9.99/year.
If you owe something for the registration renewal, the cost is listed in the drop-down menu in the screenshot above. This charge must be paid up front for manual renewals. Auto-renewals are automatically charged to your account.
If you cannot log into your account
If you cannot log into your account, contact support for assistance.
What are the domain registration and renewal fees?
The latest pricing can be found in the "List of Current TLDs and Pricing" table on the following page, which dynamically generates the most up-to-date pricing info for new domain registrations and domain renewals:
Where can I find more information?
View the following FAQ article for more details on domain registration renewals.
Are domain registration renewals refundable?
View the following article for further details.
How long can I renew my domain for?
You can renew a domain for up to 2 years, with payment required upon renewal.
How can I confirm my domain renewal was successful?
You can confirm your domain renewal was successful by verifying the domain expiration date on the Registrations page. The expiration date is shown under the column Expires.
You will also receive an email confirmation once your domain is successfully renewed.