DreamHost offers a variety of website migration services, such as moving from an old host to DreamHost or moving a site within DreamHost between accounts.
The following describes the various migration options to consider. You can also contact support to discuss an option that best fits you. If you are not currently a customer and would like to migrate your WordPress site, you can select that option during the signup process.
DreamHost can move your WordPress site to your DreamHost account. Please take a look at the Terms of Service (TOS) for further details about the process. If you want DreamHost to move forward with migrating your site, please submit a ticket with the domain name you wish to migrate and also include an agreement to the WordPress migrations TOS and any charges, if applicable.
DreamPress is a managed WordPress hosting plan that DreamHost offers as an upgrade to a standard hosting plan.
If you wish to migrate from from another host, another DreamHost account, or another TLD (e.g., example.net to example.com on the same account):
- $99 — Migrating to a standard hosting plan, per site.
- Free — Migrating to any DreamPress plan.
It’s also free if you are migrating from a non WordPress One-Click Install to a One-Click Install (on the same account).
- The WordPress Migration service cannot move WordPress Network (multisite) sites at this time.
- If your site is hosted at WordPress.com, only an export of your pages, posts, and embedded images are available. You will need to set up your own theme, plugins, and most layout items such as widgets and menus again.
Updating the WordPress HOME and SITE URLs
WordPress uses two URLs to control what domain the site should run on. They are:
- The HOME URL
- The SITE URL
These are very important as they control where the database looks for where WordPress is located. If you have recently migrated your site to a new domain, changed the URLs on your own, or have added an SSL certificate to a domain that was previously not using one, you will need these URLs updated.
DreamHost is able to change these for you for a one-time charge of $19.99. This service is free for DreamPress sites.
If your site is not WordPress, DreamHost might still be able to help. The charge is $99 but will be refunded if DreamHost is not able to successfully migrate your content. Please submit a support ticket with any information you have, and a DreamHost migration representative will be happy to look into it.
- Proprietary site build and hosting services such Wix, Weebly, or Squarespace cannot be moved to DreamHost.
- Windows Server-based Active Server Pages (ASP) websites also cannot be moved to DreamHost.