curl is installed on all DreamHost servers by default, however, you may want to install a newer version depending on your needs. This article walks you through how to install a custom version of curl (command line tool).
These instructions explain how to install the curl command line tool. This is different from cURL. You can read more about that here:
- Log in to your server via SSH.
- Make sure you're in your user's home directory.
[server]$ cd ~
- Locate the version you wish to install here:
Right-click a wget command to download the .zip file.link and copy its URL. You can then run the following
[server]$ wget https://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.70.0.zip
- Unzip the file.
[server]$ unzip curl-7.70.0.zip
- Navigate into this new directory.
[server]$ cd curl-7.70.0
- Run the following to install:
[server]$ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/curl [server]$ make [server]$ make install
- Open your .bash_profile using nano or vim. For example:
- Add this line to your .bash_profile:
- Update your .bash_profile to activate your new configuration.
[server]$ . ~/.bash_profile
- Check the location and version of curl:
[server]$ which curl /home/username/curl/bin/curl [server]$ curl --version curl 7.70.0 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.70.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1 zlib/1.2.11 Release-Date: 2020-04-29 Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps ldap ldaps pop3 pop3s rtsp smb smbs smtp smtps telnet tftp Features: AsynchDNS HTTPS-proxy IPv6 Largefile libz NTLM NTLM_WB SSL TLS-SRP UnixSockets