PHP is the programming language that powers your WordPress site. DreamHost highly recommends using the latest version of PHP on your WordPress site to ensure optimal performance and security.
Please make sure to view the following article for an overview of everything you need to consider before upgrading the PHP version of your WordPress site:
Preparing your DreamPress site for a PHP upgrade
If a DreamPress staging website is already in use, make sure to publish any changes you wish to keep before working on the staging site.
Please note that while following this checklist can help minimize issues, it is important to be aware that due to the vast number of themes, plugins, and customizations available in WordPress, there is always a slight chance of encountering errors or issues during the PHP upgrade process. In such cases, you can attempt to downgrade to the previous PHP version.
These steps are not mandatory, but they are highly recommended for maintaining the security and smooth functioning of your site:
- Check for any pending updates in your DreamPress admin dashboard. Keep in mind that DreamPress installations are configured to update automatically.
- Identify and review older themes or plugins that haven't been updated by the developer in over a year. Consider finding suitable alternatives or contacting the developer for updates.
- Verify if you have any paid themes or plugins with expired licensing for updates. Renew the licenses or explore alternative options.
- If you have customizations written in PHP, it is recommended to have a developer review them for compatibility with the new PHP version.
Testing the upgrade using a staging site
A safe way to test the new PHP version is to create a staging website. This staging site will duplicate your existing live website, allowing you to run tests to see how it reacts to the new PHP version.
If nothing unusual happens, you can upgrade your live website. View the following article for information on how to create a staging website for DreamPress:
Viewing the PHP version of a DreamPress site
You can view the PHP version of your DreamPress site in the panel.
- Navigate to the Manage Websites page.
- Click the Manage button to open the Domain Settings page, which allows you to adjust various settings for your site.
Your site's PHP version is listed under the PHP section on the Website tab, and the WordPress version is under the WordPress section.
Upgrading the PHP version of a DreamPress site
Currently, the only available option to upgrade the PHP version for a DreamPress site is via a staging site. View the following article for full instructions:
When creating your staging site on DreamPress, it will default to the PHP version your live site is using. If you need help changing the PHP version, please contact support.