A php.ini file is a simple text file that allows you to adjust your PHP settings. For example, the server comes with a few default settings such as a PHP memory_limit of 90MB. Other limits that are often changed are for PHP execution time and upload size. This article walks you through how to set up a php.ini (phprc) file and add your custom adjustments.
The standard term for this file is php.ini. However, as of PHP 5.3, DreamHost uses a "phprc" file instead. This acts the same way – only the name is different. In this article, only the term phprc is used.
DreamPress PHP customizations
If you need to adjust your PHP settings within DreamPress, view the following article:
Determine which PHP version your website uses
Before you create a phprc file, you’ll need to know which version of PHP your site is running. The PHP version for each site is displayed on the (Panel > ‘Domains’ > ‘Manage Domains’) page.
- You’ll see the version assigned to any domain to the right under the 'Web Hosting' column:
When you create your phprc file on the server, you'll use this PHP version to specify the correct location of the file.
How to create a phprc file
You can create a phprc file by logging into your server via FTP or SSH. The following links walk you through each option.
- How do I create a phprc file via FTP? (easier for beginners)
- How do I create a phprc file via SSH? (for advanced users)
Updating your changes
After you've created your phprc file, you should update your PHP configuration to ensure the new settings take effect. View the following article for further details:
- How do I create a phprc file via FTP?
- How do I create a phprc file via SSH?
- How do I increase the PHP upload limit?
- How do I increase the PHP memory limit?
- How do I enable PHP error logging?
- How do I enable PHP extensions and loaders?
- My phprc file isn't updating
- Where can I view PHP errors and warnings?
- Cannot modify header information
- How do I make global phprc changes on a Dedicated server?
- Customizing your PHP settings with DreamPress