You can easily transfer any WordPress site created using the DreamHost WordPress installer to DreamPress.
Should you upgrade or import your site?
If you want to test your site before upgrading it to DreamPress, you can create a temporary dream.press domain and import your DreamHost WordPress install into it. View the following articles for details:
- Importing an existing WordPress Install into DreamPress
- Creating a DreamPress temporary domain
- Changing the name of a DreamPress domain
If you do not need to test your site first, proceed to the following instructions to upgrade it directly to DreamPress.
Upgrading with an existing hosting plan
If your WordPress site is on a Shared, VPS, or Dedicated Hosting plan, upgrading to DreamPress only adds a new DreamPress plan. It does not remove your old hosting plan, meaning you'll still be paying for the old plan and the new DreamPress plan.
If you have only one website, once you have upgraded your site to DreamPress, you can close your existing hosting plan since you will only use the DreamPress plan going forward.
If you have multiple websites on the old hosting plan, you must keep it active.
Purchasing a DreamPress plan creates a new hosting plan billed separately from any other hosting plan you may have. Any previous balance on another hosting plan does not transfer to the new DreamPress plan.
Upgrading to DreamPress
If your site is in a subdirectory, such as example.com/blog, the site moves into the primary directory when upgraded to DreamPress. For example:
Also, any files currently in your primary directory will be deleted. Make sure to backup any necessary files before upgrading.
- Navigate to the Managed WordPress page.
- Click the Add DreamPress button.
- The 'Add a DreamPress' page opens where you can choose which domain to use.
- Click the
If you need to create a temporary domain, use a dream.press domain. View the following article for details:
toggle link, and then select a DreamHost-hosted domain from the drop-down list (shown as "WordPress" next to a domain).
- When finished selecting a WordPress domain, scroll to the Term section.
- Select either 'Annually' or 'Monthly' payment plan.
- Scroll to the Plan section, which shows the various DreamPress features and pricing plans (DreamPress, Plus, and Pro). If you select Plus, you are also prompted to select a 'Disk Size' (either 60 GB or 80 GB).
- Select a plan type.
- Your selections are summarized within the 'Your Purchase' box on the right.
- When finished, click the Add New DreamPress button.
What if I don't have a DreamHost WordPress install?
If you're not using a DreamHost WordPress install and wish to upgrade to DreamPress, you can contact support, who will help you convert your existing WordPress site to a DreamHost WordPress install.