Staying on top of both plugins and core WordPress upgrades is the single best thing you can do to keep your site current and safe: not only will it keep your site less prone to hack attempts, but almost every new version of the software has tweaks that offer speed increases.
All One-Click WordPress installations at DreamHost have automatic updates enabled by default. This option can be deactivated after WordPress is installed.
Automatic update features
DreamHost automatic updates include the following features:
- DreamHost performs an upgrade to your WordPress site whenever a new major release of WordPress becomes available. DreamHost also upgrades any available plugins that allow automatic upgrades during the process.
- Once an upgrade completes, you are notified via email.
- If any errors are found during the upgrade process, DreamHost will reverse the upgrade and notify you via email. DreamHost's automatic updates are only available for sites with an active One-Click Installation of WordPress. If automatic updates are disabled, they cannot be enabled again in the future.
Disabling automatic updates
As of WordPress version 3.7, minor revision updates are performed automatically by the WordPress application, which are separate from DreamHost's automatic updates. Deactivating DreamHost's automatic updates does not change this behavior. DreamHost highly recommends that you allow these minor updates to automatically occur since they are typically bug fixes and/or security updates.
If you prefer to manually update your WordPress install, you can use the following instructions to opt-out of automatic updates by removing your site from the One-Click Installs list:
- Navigate to the One-Click Installs page.
- The One-Click Installs page opens.
- Click the Manage My Apps button.
- Click the domain that’s using the One-Click Install to expand it.
- All One-Clicks installed under the domain are displayed.
- Click the Remove from List button on the right side.
- A warning message appears:
- Click Ok to confirm.
- A 'Success' message displays when the site is removed from the One-Click Installs list:
After you remove your site, it no longer displays on your Manage My Apps page. DreamHost is unable to automatically update WordPress on this site in the future.
Once automatic updates are disabled, you can manually update your WordPress install using the following article: