DreamHost allows users to add IPv6 addresses to domains hosted in the panel. IPv6 has some advantages, one of which being that there is a much larger pool of IPs available than IPv4 which is becoming outdated.
dreamhosters.com subdomains can not add Unique IP addresses
Adding an IPv6 address
While there is a charge for adding an IPv4 address, there is no charge when adding an IPv6 as there are many addresses still available.
To add an IPv6 address:
- Navigate to the Manage Domains page.
- Click the ‘Add IP’ link under your domain.
- Click the Add IPv6 IP Now button to add an IPv6 address to your domain.
- After adding the IPv6 address, you are redirected back to the ‘Manage Domains’ page where you'll see the new address assigned to the designated domain or subdomain:
- To remove the IP, select the red ‘X’ next to the IP.
Testing an IPv6
There are a few ways to test if an IPv6 address is active and responding.
Ping the address
Run a ping command to your hostname. For example:
[server]$ ping6 example.com PING example.com(example.com) 56 data bytes 64 bytes from example.com: icmp_seq=1 ttl=63 time=0.302 ms 64 bytes from example.com: icmp_seq=2 ttl=63 time=0.718 ms 64 bytes from example.com: icmp_seq=3 ttl=63 time=0.340 ms 64 bytes from example.com: icmp_seq=4 ttl=63 time=0.843 ms 64 bytes from example.com: icmp_seq=5 ttl=63 time=0.592 ms --- example.com ping statistics --- 5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4009ms rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.302/0.559/0.843/0.210 ms
You can also use an online tool to ping IPv6. For example:
Run a dig command to check if the IP is resolving
[server]$ dig +short AAAA example.com 2607:f298:4:152::3d1:2cb7
If it’s resolving, you’ll see the IP address respond.