This article explains how to enable WebDAV in your DreamHost panel.
No access to your .htaccess and .htpasswd files
The instructions in this article create an .htaccess and .htpasswd files which will be owned by the server. This means you will not be able to manually edit either of these files if you need to. Additionally, these instructions will overwrite any existing .htaccess file. Make sure to backup your existing .htaccess file before beginning these steps.
If you only need to password protect your site and will need access to your .htaccess and .htpasswd file at any time in the future, you should follow the directions in the following article instead.
These instructions walk you through how to manually create your .htaccess and .htpasswd file.
If you'd like to access your WebDAV directory over a secure connection, you must purchase an SSL certificate. Visit the following article for further details:
- Navigate to the Htaccess/WebDAV page.
- In the list of domains, click the site on which you wish to enable WebDAV.
- Click the Set up a New Directory button to continue.
- The WebDAV configuration page opens
- Enter the following:
- Directory name: The subdirectory you want to use for WebDAV. If this directory doesn't exist, then it's created automatically.
- Password-protect this dir?: You should check this box for security purposes.
- Enable WebDAV on this dir?: Check this box.
- Directory "name": When you navigate to the WebDAV directory, a pop-up box opens allowing you to log in. This text is what appears in that box.
- User accounts for this area: Add a user followed by its password. View the Passwords article for instructions on how to create a safe password.
- Forbid linking to files in this dir?: Check this box if you'd like certain file types to be forbidden.
- Forbidden file extensions: Add the forbidden extensions here.
- Domains that may still link: Add domains that will not be forbidden from accessing this content.
- Click the Configure This Directory button to save.
- A confirmation box confirms that WebDAV is being configured:
If you have a lot of directories you wish to enable WebDAV on, you must add users for each directory separately via the panel. Also, users have access to the entire directory once created.