There are several things you can do with an .htaccess file to customize your site. Below are a few examples:
- Changing PHP settings in an .htaccess file
- How can I control file extensions with an .htaccess file?
- How can I redirect and rewrite my URLs?
- How do I deny access to my site?
- Force your site to load securely
- How do I password protect my site?
- How do I prevent image hotlinking?
- Setting headers with an .htaccess file
- Using SSI on files with an .html extension
- How to create a site maintenance message
- How can I force a file to be downloaded?
- How can I cache my site with an .htaccess file?
- How can I control my directory indexes?
- Transparently redirect your root directory to a subdirectory