This article explains how to sign up for a new DreamHost account. This article is for new customers that wish to open an account with their own personal details, payment information, and new hosting plan.
This article shows how to open an account with a hosting plan. This means you will pay for a server to host your website on. If you only want to buy the website name (domain name) and are not ready to host the site on the Internet, view the following article instead:
If you wish to create an Email-only account (and not host your website online), view the following link instead.
Step 1 — Choose a hosting plan
DreamHost offers several hosting plans for you to host your website on. View the following link for a list of plans:
If you would like to host a WordPress site, view the following page instead that lists all WordPress hosting options:
After you've decided on the plan, click the Sign Up Now button under it to proceed with account creation.
Step 2 — Create a new account
After you've selected a plan you can proceed with creating your account. The steps are generally the same for all hosting plans, however, an example of Shared Starter hosting is shown below for clarity.
Adding a Shared Hosting account
- When you've decided on the plan you'd like to purchase, click the button under it to proceed. After clicking the button, you're taken to the Choose Your Hosting Plan page.
- Enter a domain to purchase, transfer an existing domain, or click 'Choose a domain later' to skip the domain part.
- To the right, select the payment plan and your desired add-ons.
- Choose to pay with a credit/debit card or PayPal. If you select PayPal, you're taken to its site to complete the purchase.
- Enter an email address. This will be the primary email you use to log into your DreamHost panel. You can also sign up using Google's 'Single Sign On' method. This allows you to use your Google email address to log in without using a password.
Some browsers are enabled with default pop-up settings that disable pop-ups from displaying. If so, you must manually allow your browser to display pop-ups. The following links show how to do this with popular browsers.
- Select additional options that appear towards the bottom:
- Pre-Install WordPress: Check this to automatically install WordPress on your new domain.
- DreamShield Protection: This is a paid add-on that will scan your site for malicious software weekly.
- DreamHost SEO Toolkit: This is a paid add-on that helps you to optimize your website for higher search engine rankings. It also continues to monitor your site over a period of time to ensure that your site's SEO score remains high.
- DreamHost Email: This displays for Shared Starter plans only. It allows you to add a paid email plan to your website hosting plan. (NOTE: All other plans offer email for free.)
- Google Workspace: Adds Google Workspace to your domain. You can then use Google's tools to manage your website and email.
- When finished, click the Submit Order button at the bottom of the page.
If you have any further questions, please contact DreamHost technical support.