When you add an SSL certificate to your website in the panel, DreamHost automatically redirects the URL visitors use to view your site from HTTP to HTTPS. The S ensures that your connection is encrypted. For example:
There's nothing on your end you must do in order to force your site to use the secure URL. However, in some special cases, it may be necessary for you to create your own custom configuration file to force the redirect from HTTP to HTTPS.
Adding custom code is only necessary if your website requires specific code to force the redirect. If so, you will need to disable the automatic redirect in your panel.
This article explains how to disable the DreamHost automatic redirect in your panel.
Disabling the automatic redirect to HTTPS
- Log into your panel.
- Navigate to the Secure Certificates page.
- To the right of your domain, click the Settings button.
- In the AUTOMATIC HTTPS IS ENABLED FOR THIS SITE section you will see a green lock icon. Click Change Automatic HTTPS Setting.
- Click the Disable Automatic HTTPS button.
- A success message displays. You should now clear your browser's cache to ensure the redirect no longer occurs.
If you navigate back to the settings page, you will now see a red lock icon.
Once complete, contact DreamHost support so they can ensure the automatic redirect has been disabled.