You must make a few configuration to use an SSL certificate with WordPress.
Add an SSL certificate to the domain
Make sure your site is properly set up for HTTPS. You need to have an SSL certificate applied to your site and possibly a Unique IP address depending on your requirements for the site. See the Unique IP article for more information.
Update the Home and Site URL in WordPress
- Log into WordPress.
- Navigate to Settings -> General page.
- On the General page, change the URLs. Make sure to save your changes.
Update your wp-config.php file
- Log into your webserver via SSH or SFTP.
- Find the file named 'wp-config.php' in your WordPress site directory, and then open it in a text editor.
- Add the following two lines above the line that says "Stop Editing Here”:
define('FORCE_SSL', true); define('FORCE_SSL_ADMIN',true);
Force the URL to redirect to https
You can force your site to redirect from HTTP to HTTPS in two ways:
Once you complete these steps, all requests to your website redirect to HTTPS.