If you have already created an email address on your domain at DreamHost, you can add this address to your Gmail account to 'Send as'. This means you no longer have to log into your DreamHost email to send. You can log into Gmail and send 'from' your DreamHost email address.
The address you use must be a functioning address. This means you cannot use a forward (or garbage) email address.
TLS Negotiation failed, the certificate doesn't match the host
This error may display when sending email through Google. As of April 2020, Google started enforcing TLS when sending email. This means your outgoing servername must be set to smtp.dreamhost.com. If you are using your website name, (mail.example.com), this will continue to fail.
Adding your DreamHost email to Gmail
- First, create a fully hosted DreamHost email address.
- Log into Gmail.
- On the top right, click the gear icon.
- From the dropdown, click See all settings.
- Click the Accounts and Import tab.
- Under the Send mail as section, click the link.
- On the pop-up, enter the name you wish to be seen when sending email from this new address. Then enter the full email and click 'Next Step'.
- On the next page, enter the following:
- SMTP Server — smtp.dreamhost.com. NOTE: Gmail will attempt to automatically fill this section for you, but it may not add the correct server name. Make sure to change this to smtp.dreamhost.com.
- Port — 465
- Username — Your FULL DreamHost email address
- Password — The email password
- Check the option for SSL and click 'Add Account'.
- An email is sent to the DreamHost address with a verification code. Copy that code and paste it into this window.
- Navigate back to your Gmail settings page.
- Scroll down to the Send mail as section. You now see your new DreamHost address.
- To send mail as this address, click the link to the right.
- When you send email in the future, it sends 'as' your DreamHost address, not your Gmail address.
Sending email that shows your DreamHost address
Now that you've configured your DreamHost email address in Gmail, you can send email within your Gmail account.
When creating a new message, click the down arrow icon for the FROM address and select your DreamHost email before sending:
When someone receives the email, it appears as if it was sent from your DreamHost email account (which it is, even though it's initiated by another system).