PuTTY Key Generator is a program that can be downloaded from the PuTTY website here:
View the 'How do I configure PuTTY' article below for instructions on a recommended location to save the files on your computer.
Creating the key pair
- Navigate to the directory where you saved the puttygen.exe file and open it. The 'PuTTY Key Generator' window displays.
- On the bottom right, click the 'Generate' button.
- Follow the instructions and move your mouse in the blank area to generate random data.
- Click the 'Save public key' button to save a modified version of the public key. Please note that this public key file can not be imported into the DreamCompute dashboard as it is not properly formatted.
- Click the 'Save private key' button to save the .ppk (PuTTY Private Key File) file for use with PuTTY later.
- Copy the text in the box titled 'Public key for pasting into OpenSSH authorized_keys file:'
- It's recommended that you paste this into a blank notepad file on your computer to ensure you have a copy saved. Otherwise, follow the instructions below to paste/import it directly into your DreamCompute dashboard.